Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Shpongle "Tales of the Inexpressible", Brian Eno "Ambient 4", Harold Budd and Brian Eno "Ambient 2"

SHPONGLE - TALES OF THE INEXPRESSIBLE

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible
Year: 2001


1.Dorset Perception [8:11]15.7 Mb
2.Star Shpongled Banner [8:22]16 Mb
3.A New Way to Say Hooray [8:31]16.3 Mb
4.Room 23 [5:04]9.7 Mb
5.My Head Feels Like A Frisbee [8:52]17 Mb
6.Shpongleyes [8:55]17.1 Mb
7.Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness [7:30]14.3 Mb
8.Around the World in A Tea Daze [11:21]21.8 Mb
9.Flute Fruit [2:08]4.1 Mb

Shpongle "Tales of the Inexpressible" Album Review

Best album I own
I have a huge music collection including all of shpongle but this is beyond doubt my favorite. I often find after a few listenings of a CD I start to get a bit bored and land up ripping to mp3 and mixing in the songs but with shpongle I always listen to the entire album beginning to end. I only play it when I am really in the mood to listen -fungus helps ;). The journey he takes you on is unmatched.

Video Shpongle - Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness (Esionjim

Shpongle - Once Upon the Sea of Blissful Awareness (Esionjim Remix) from the album "Tales Of The Inexpressible"






BRIAN ENO - AMBIENT 4

Brian Eno - Ambient 4
Year: 2004


1.Lizard [4:33]6.3 Mb
2.The Lost Day [9:11]13.1 Mb
3.Tal Coat [5:27]8.4 Mb
4.Shadow [3:00]4.4 Mb
5.Lantern Marsh [5:30]8.9 Mb
6.Unfamiliar Wind (Leeks Hills) [5:26]7.3 Mb
7.A Clearing [4:07]5.6 Mb
8.Dunwich Beach Autumn 1960 [7:09]9.5 Mb

Brian Eno "Ambient 4" Album Review

Short, but absolute
Brian Eno's "On Land" is a good landmark for dark Ambient Music. Eno knows how to make you feel all alone in the middle of nowhere - or in the middle of somewhere creepy (depending on how you look at it). I enjoy listening to this music alone in bed before I go to sleep at night. It instantly clears my mind of whatever may have happened that day, and lets me fall asleep much easier.

This album really does allow you to conjure up some vivid thoughts. Last time I listened to this album, I for some reason started putting the names of the tracks together as a journey. I imagined being high up on a mountain peak called "Lizard Point" and looking far off in the distance and seeing my destination, "Dunwich Beach". The rest of the album represents my adventure to get there. While descending the peak, I pass through dark caves (Shadow), thick murky swamps (Lantern Marsh), and creepy forests with an odd air around (unfamiliar wind). After some time, I finally see the edge of the forest, and come to "A clearing". I go a bit further and arrive at my destination, Dunwich Beach - but I'm all alone and the beach is dark and silent. Use your imagination, and this album can be more entertaining than just hearing the sounds that make the music.

Eno manages to keep up a dark mood throughout this album, but there is enough variation to keep you entertained. I personally enjoyed tracks #1, 3, and 6 the most. There aren't any parts of this album that I disliked, however. My only complaint is how short the album is! I wish it took up the full CD, but this won't affect my review score. This album deserves nothing less than 5 stars.

I highly recommend this album to anyone who enjoys the darker side of Ambient. You won't regret purchasing this, unless you only like music with headache-inducing drums and beats (which I do happen to enjoy as well, but I won't go there).






HAROLD BUDD AND BRIAN ENO - AMBIENT 2

Harold Budd and Brian Eno - Ambient 2
Year: 2004


1.First Light [7:06]9.6 Mb
2.Steal Away [1:29]2.1 Mb
3.The Plateaux of Mirror [4:13]5.6 Mb
4.Above Chiangmai [2:55]4 Mb
5.An Arc of Doves [6:28]8.4 Mb
6.Not Yet Remembered [3:50]5.1 Mb
7.The Chill Air [2:13]3 Mb
8.Among Fields of Crystal [3:24]4.7 Mb
9.Wind in Lonely Fences [3:57]5.6 Mb
10.Failing Light [4:13]5.7 Mb

Harold Budd and Brian Eno "Ambient 2" Album Review

Evokes Images Of Past Thru Gauzy Light Filtered Images
The music on this album always takes me inside myself and makes me reflective about my life. The first track in particular evokes memories of past as if seen from a distance through a gauzy haze. Very emotionally cleansing.

Very similar in theme/texture to "The Pearl". In fact they could have easily been a dual CD. Hard to believe they were recorded four years apart.

Other recommendations of minimalist ambient music include "Quiet Music" and "Structures From Silence" by Steve Roach.






No comments: